Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lunchbox #10

Pomegranates are great primal finger food. I was struck by a huge urge to snack last night, and them remembered the pomegranate loitering in the fridge. My first try opening a pomegranate (last year), I sat and took out the arils (seeds) one by one. Took for-ev-ah. (Yes, you Sandlot fans, you can envision: "For-eh-ver! For-eh-ver!")

Then I read up on the quickest way to access the poms' delicious contents, and it turns out that doing so over a bowl of water is the most common shortcut; the membranes have just enough pockets of air that they float over the water, while the juicy seeds sink to the bottom.

For those who've never tried fresh pomegranate arils, they are a tasty treat. Sweet, but just a hint of sour, juicy on the outside with a crunchy sunflower-seed-like center.

Floating membranes - seeds at the bottom.
Drained the water from the bowl and
skimmed off the membranes at the same time:

Packed some in my daughter's lunch:


Today my preschooler's lunch featured (clockwise):

  • Sliced tomatoes
  • A slice of sharp cheddar
  • Pomegranate arils
  • Leftover baked salmon
  • Leftover garlic roasted cauliflower
  • Fresh cut slices of yellow squash and green peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I cherish your comments, each and every one!

Please note that comments that are off-topic or of a gratuitously promotional nature will not be published. Also, for reasons of privacy, comments with my name or family members' names will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...